In 1912 a building committee was appointed to select a suitable site and formulate proper plans for the construction of a Masonic Temple in Lakewood, Ohio. The Lakewood Masonic Temple Company was incorporated, and nine Masons were appointed to serve on the first Board of Directors–William Bayne, Nelson C. Cotabish, Philip H. Keese, Daniel Loew, John M. Moyer, Richard B. Sanders, Carl W. Schaefer, Louis Weigand and Charles L. Wood.
The site for the new Temple at Detroit and Andrews Avenues was selected and approved in 1913. James W. Chrisford, who later served as High Priest of Cunningham Chapter #187 Royal Arch Masons and Commander of Holy Grail Commandery #70 Knights Templar, was awarded the contract as architect and builder. On April 3, 1915, ground was broken. The cornerstone was laid on June 26, 1915, by Edwin S. Griffiths, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of Ohio.
On September 30, 1916, the Temple was dedicated. Lakewood Lodge #601 Free & Accepted Masons (chartered 1908) held the first meeting in the new Temple on October 2. Other occupants at that time were Gaston G. Allen Lodge #629 Free & Accepted Masons (chartered 1914), Cunningham Chapter #187 Royal Arch Masons (chartered 1910) and Lincoln Chapter #309 Order of the Eastern Star (chartered 1909).
A number of community groups and events have started and met at the Temple over the years, including the Kiwanis Club of Lakewood.
Today this historic building is the home of Lakewood Lodge #601 Free & Accepted Masons, Clifton-Gaston Allen Lodge #664 Free & Accepted Masons, Cunningham Chapter #187 Royal Arch Masons, Lakewood Council #125 Royal & Select Masons, Holy Grail Commandery #70 Knights Templar, Ann Rutledge Chapter #453 Order of the Eastern Star, Cleveland Assembly #15 Social Order of Beauceant and Lakewood Chapter Order of DeMolay for boys as well as various community groups.
The Lakewood Masonic Temple remains to this day one of Lakewood’s and America’s historic treasures.
Please contact The Lakewood Masonic Temple Company for a more in-depth history of the building, building rental information and for information regarding giving to our endowment fund.
Our lodge room!